Half of the world olive grove will be intensive and trellis by 2030, experts say

INNOLIVA is the first producer of extra virgin olive oil on trellises 

Madrid, March 17, 2017. 

The global distribution of the surface of the olive grove anticipates great transformations in the next years. The strong irruption of the trellis-intensive systems will generate a huge fall in the traditional system, which is the majority until today. From INNOLIVA, we have been betting for years on innovation and the advantages of the trellis method.

Juan Vilar, expert in olive oil economy, in statements after the end of the II Conference on Organic Olive Oil and Olive Oil, held in Almendral (Badajoz) last weekend, said that competition in the sector will cause losses in those countries where the olive grove traditional occupies greater surface, as it happens at the moment in Spain. For this reason, the change should be consolidated causing by 2030 the surface of both models tend to be equal, passing the traditional olive grove to occupy only 55%, and the intensive and trellis systems achieving the remaining 45%.

The improvement strategy in the traditional olive grove seems to be in constant search of the difference with its competitors, as well as in the transformation in areas where there is possibility. Spain will have to increase its commitment to new farming methods in order to maintain its position in the international market.

INNOLIVA, a pioneer in the use of olive trees in espalier or hedge, considers this type of system “an innovative cultivation method calculated to improve productivity”. The design and organization of this type of olive tree allows it to be harvested mechanically, which facilitates a quick, clean and less aggressive collection for the tree than other older methods.

In addition, Miguel Rico, president of this production company based in Navarra, highlights the possibility of using these new methods with “non-aggressive technologies and maintaining biological balance”.

About Innoliva 

The company, which has its head office in Pamplona (Spain), owns more than 5,000 hectares of irrigated olive groves, located in Spain and Portugal, where the Mediterranean climate gives the olive tree the ideal environment for the development and maturation of the fruit; and favors obtaining Extra Virgin Olive Oils with excellent sensory qualities.

With its production system, they guarantee the integral traceability of the entire process: from the olive tree to the final customer.

They make their Extra Virgin Olive Oil cold in the shortest time possible from the entrance of the olive in the oil mill. And they take care of the oil already produced to maintain their excellent sensory and healthy qualities as long as possible.

    Tu carrito está vacíoIr a la tienda
      Calcular costo de envío
      Aplicar cupón
      Esta web utiliza cookies propias para su correcto funcionamiento. Contiene enlaces a sitios web de terceros con políticas de privacidad ajenas que podrás aceptar o no cuando accedas a ellos. Al hacer clic en el botón Aceptar, acepta el uso de estas tecnologías y el procesamiento de tus datos para estos propósitos. Configurar y más información